Over the years, the inevitable aging of the body begins, and chronic pathologies are diagnosed. Old people need assistance when moving or lifting. Over time, motor functions may completely fail, and a person will not be able to independently move around an apartment or street. Fortunately, a device such as a walker for seniors solves the problem of mobility. In this article, we will consider how walkers can complement living assistance home care in Brooklyn for seniors.
Table of Contents
Why are walkers for seniors so popular today?
Currently, supporting structures are widely used for medical purposes. Patients with musculoskeletal dysfunction who have had a severe spinal injury or stroke can make their lives easier with this handy device. Old people, using this device, can move without assistance. It is more convenient for old people to move with models on wheels. Each patient can choose a walker depending on his needs and disease.
Most walkers are made from lightweight aluminum so that old people can move them on their own. But, despite their small weight, aluminum products are very stable, and durable, it is almost impossible to stumble or fall with them.
Walkers are much more practical than regular crutches or walking sticks. When an old person leans on the frame, he shifts the center of gravity, which facilitates his movement. The unit is convenient to use not only on the street but also at home. This is another important advantage that frees the relatives of an old person from constant supervision.
Types of walkers for the seniors
Modern manufacturers offer a wide range of walkers for seniors. These devices can be folding or with seats designed for a particular person. There are two groups of products according to the degree of load: ordinary and reinforced. Let’s look at the main types.
- Classical (not walking, not sliding, stationary). Stable, comfortable, very light models with rubber caps on the legs. While walking, a person needs to raise the frame.
- Mobile (walking). Excellent model, suitable for old patients with dysfunction of the upper limbs. It is not necessary to completely raise the structure, it is enough to rearrange it alternately from two sides. The front legs are equipped with small wheels, and the rear legs are equipped with non-slip rubber caps.
- Multifunctional. Most often, these are walking walkers for seniors, but they can be rearranged into stationary mode using special locking hinges.
- With wheels on four legs (rollators). A good option, suitable for old people who can move independently, but often get tired. Thanks to the wheels, the old patient will be able to move relatively quickly.
- Two-level models. This option is suitable for people who are unable to walk independently and are also unable to get out of bed or a chair. Models with two levels are equipped with special handrails: the lower ones help to lean when climbing, and the upper ones help to move around the house.
- Walkers-crutches (axillary). A good replacement for conventional crutches, the design is very stable and comfortable to use. This model is suitable for old patients with impaired coordination, for example, people after a stroke. Such a modification involves the transfer of weight from the hands to the armpits.
- Walkers come with four and three legs. Three-pointed devices are lighter and mobile. Such products are recommended for old patients to move around the house. Models with four legs are much more stable, but not as maneuverable, they are inconvenient to use in small spaces, but they are ideal when walking in nature.
How to choose the right walker for the disabled and the seniors
Before you buy one of the models, determine the further purpose of the device: for moving indoors, for going outdoors, for the period of recovery after illnesses (fractures, operations, etc.). Before you decide on a particular type of walker for the old person, read the reviews on the Internet – find out which is better.
It is necessary to select a model according to the physiological characteristics of the patient so that it is convenient and useful. A doctor familiar with the problems of a particular patient can help in choosing a product.
There are general tips to consider before purchasing. Let’s take a closer look at the criteria for choosing walkers for the seniors:
All models have a regulator for the growth of the patient. This is one of the most important points when buying, the wrong height of the product can provoke pain in the muscles of the back, arms, etc. To adjust the height, you need to lower your hands down, and set the handrails at the level of the wrist of an old person. This position will be the most comfortable when moving: thus, the desired elbow bend angle is enforced. The frame must be made of durable metal that can withstand a lot of weight.
It is important to consider the exact weight of the patient. Depending on the expected load, structures with a certain strength should be selected.
- Device handles.
Support rails are made of plastic and should be ergonomic and fit comfortably in the hand of an old patient. If the patient has sweating on the hands, then you need to choose a model of handles with a special porous coating. For people with arthritis, walkers with large handles are suitable. Such handles provide a full girth, reliable support, and comfort while walking.
- Walker’s legs.
You can choose models with both three and four legs. It depends on the needs of the patient. Products with three legs are convenient for home use, they are mobile and small. Models on four legs are more suitable for walking on the street, they are stable and reliable. But when used at home, such walkers will create discomfort when moving due to their bulkiness.
- Wheels and brakes.
When buying rollators, you need to consider the size of the wheels. The small diameter is for home use, and the large diameter is for outdoor use. Some models of walkers on wheels are equipped with pneumatic or blocking brakes for the convenience of the seniors.
If you have a relative who has mobility problems, it is best to find a caregiver for him and buy a walker. This will allow your loved one to live a full life and not get depressed. You can find a responsible worker with the help of Galaxy Home Care.